Vietnam, the third largest cinnamon production country in the world, is one of the big cinnamon suppliers globally. The value of cinnamon is enhanced when organic cinnamon cultivation as well as processing of cinnamon in bulk techniques are widely applied. Vietnam’s cinnamon exports are growing very quickly to the EU and US markets.
Vietnamese cinnamon/ cassia overview
Vietnam is one of the few countries with a very large area of cinnamon in the world, with the world’s third largest cinnamon production (according to the World Spice Organisation). According to the General Department of Forestry, the cinnamon area in Vietnam is about 150,000 hectares, accounting for 17% of the global cinnamon area.
Data from the General Department of Forestry said that Vietnam’s cinnamon bark reserves are estimated at 900,000 – 1,200,000 tons, with an average harvest of 70,000 – 80,000 tons/year. Vietnam’s anise and cinnamon export value in 2020 will reach 245.4 million USD, in 2021 it will reach about 291.8 million USD.
Vietnamese cinnamon products are widely consumed in markets such as the US, EU, Middle East, Japan, China, India… Particularly in India, 80% of the country’s imported cinnamon output comes from Vietnam.
In particular, the demand for cinnamon essential oil in the world is very large and is always at a high level. The demand for cinnamon increased faster than the increase in global supply, pushing the price of cinnamon higher and higher, especially from 2016 until now.
See more: CINNAMON OVERVIEW | CASSIA MARKET 2022
4 kinds of Vietnamese cinnamon products
- Cinnamon powder: Contains many good ingredients such as vitamins A, B1, C … and has a fragrant taste, so it is often used as a spice in cooking and in the treatment of diseases.
- Cinnamon twigs: is taken from young twigs or barks peeled from the small branches, usually harvested during April – May and September – October.
- Cinnamon barks: is taken from the bark of the trunk and the bark of the large branches of the cinnamon tree.
- Cinnamon essential oil: is extracted from the stem, bark, leaves or roots. It is also the second most commonly used form after cinnamon powder. Cinnamon essential oil is used a lot for the purpose of deodorizing, fighting nail fungus infections, relieving sore throat, taking care of skin, lips and hair, …
Harvesting and processing of cinnamon
Cinnamon trees after planting from 10 to 15 years can be harvested. There are two seasons of cinnamon peeling: spring cinnamon peeled in February-March, for good quality and autumn cinnamon peeled in late July and early August.
Before harvesting, cut a piece of bark near the base of the tree to prevent water and nutrients from going up, so that the cinnamon bark peels off the trunk, so the peeling process will be easy. If the stem is too large, allow another two weeks for the bark to peel off the stem. Cinnamon after peeling will be classified and processed according to the characteristics of 3 types of fresh cinnamon including cinnamon type A, cinnamon type B, cinnamon type C.
- Cinnamon type A: a thick type of cinnamon with a large amount of essential oils, after drying, will be packed in a carton or peeled if necessary.
- Cinnamon type B: after cleaning, has 4 following processing of cinnamon methods:
- Separate cinnamon into long clean sticks: Cinnamon will be separated into clean long bars -> then dried -> bundled and then folded together or cut and packed according to customer requirements.
- Split and cut into squares: Cinnamon will be separated and cut into square pieces -> then dried -> use water to wash off impurities -> dried again -> packed in cartons or bags.
- Cinnamon whole tube: Cinnamon whole tube -> dried -> bundled or cut into particular sizes (according to customer’s request).
- Cinnamon barks: Dried cinnamon barks -> Packed in carton or bag, according to customer’s request.
- Cinnamon type C: processed into 2 types:
- Expose the whole tube:
- Dry the whole tube -> wash off impurities with water -> separate cinnamon -> dry again -> pack in cartons.
- Dry the whole tube -> wash off impurities with water -> dry again -> put in the press -> pack in cartons.
- Split fresh cinnamon:
- Split fresh cinnamon -> wash off impurities with water -> dry -> pack into cartons.
- Expose the whole tube:
Preservation after processing of cinnamon products
After drying, arrange cinnamon bark neatly in boxes or bundles in plastic bags. Do not let the cinnamon bark break, it will reduce the quality of cinnamon.
Cinnamon essential oil has the ability to corrode metal, the essential oil obtained after distillation should be stored in enameled or plastic food containers. The container for essential oils needs to be sealed, a thin layer of water can be placed on top to limit the evaporation of essential oils, and at the same time prevent contact with oxygen in the air.
Both dried cinnamon bark and cinnamon essential oil should be stored in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight.
Where to buy cinnamon in bulk – high quality
In Vietnam, cinnamon is produced and exported in large quantities mainly in the provinces of Yen Bai, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai,…
Sybil Agri Vietnam Company is proud to accompany more than 100 households growing cinnamon in Yen Bai, exporting quality cinnamon in bulk to more than 10 countries around the world, mainly to India, Turkey and the US. Sybil Agri is a leading agriculture company, supplying food ingredients and spices to thousands of domestic and foreign customers. Cinnamon is produced, harvested and processed according to scientific processes from seedlings to finished products, strictly controlled to achieve the highest quality according to international standards.
Contact us now to choose the best cinnamon products and get the latest quotes!